SMG Lead Cook in Long Beach, California
POSITION: Lead Cook
REPORTS TO: Sous Chef
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Lead Cook at the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center. This position is responsible for supervising production, culinary standards, sanitation. Additionally, the position supports the Sous Chef and or the Director in menu development, food and ingredient specifications, training programs, retail services and catering.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plan, organize and supervise daily culinary operation of retail and catering services
- Direct and coordinate the work of production and dish room staff
- Supports standards as well as assists in creation of menus and recipes
- Maintain proper production, safety and sanitation standards.
- Direct and participate in the daily preparation of standard food.
- Evaluate the quality of raw food and ensure the quality of the finished products
- Ensure overall consistency and high quality across the various operations; plan menus based on such factors as market trends, customer preferences and nutritional considerations; design recipes, determine appropriate ingredients and specify individual serving portion for each recipe
- Support development of all levels of cooks at both properties.
- Follow procedures and budgetery constariants; participate in all menu planning activities to include the determintation of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Assist in developing culinary training programs for food production employees and serve as a culinary resource to promote quality food services.
- Inspection and or observe (FIFO) first in first out quality of food; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance
- Execute culinary production for special events, monotony breakers, and catered functions.
- Supervise and participate in the preparation and display of menu items for special functions
- Support the production of operational reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations.
- Maintain proper inventory controls for food, supplies, and equipment.
- Maintain company policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required from time to time.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules operatingand maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Good work ethic
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks
- Requires ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet, word processing software, and have the capacity to learn new programs as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages woman, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans to apply. VEVRRA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled