City of Hope Senior Executive Director of Prospect Research and Management in Irwindale, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hopeâ€™s mission is to â€œturn hope into reality.â€? Focused on eliminating cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening illnesses, City of Hope has established itself as a world-class leader in transforming the future of health. Raising the philanthropic resources to fuel its leading-edge research, its exquisite and compassionate clinical care, and its advancement of biomedical education and training, is a vital component of the City of Hope model of success. Each member of the Office of Philanthropy is a stakeholder in this work, with personal accountability for his/her role in building a successful future of delivering new cures, treatments and education.
The Office of Philanthropyâ€™s vision is to support this life-saving work by being known institutionally and nationally as a model of excellence among elite fundraising programs. Recent recruitments of nationally and internationally renowned faculty offer advancement leaders new opportunity for partnership among philanthropy, research and patient care.
To this end, we invest in our staff through the Team Activation Program (TAP) initiative. This initiative increases the effectiveness of our team through focused transparency & accountability, building trust within teams; training & development; celebrating innovation & risk taking; enhancing team communications and removing roadblocks to maximize activation. The TAP initiative ensures that the Office of Philanthropy is poised to move quickly, effectively and efficiently to maximize opportunities on behalf of City of Hope.
This position is part of City of Hopeâ€™s Prospect Development Office within the Office of Philanthropy, and reports to the Associate Vice President of Prospect Development (AVP). This position will work closely with colleagues on the Prospect Development team within Philanthropy as a whole, and as appropriate, with the broader City of Hope community as we seek philanthropic support to fulfill City of Hopeâ€™s bold mission. The Senior Director of Prospect Research and Management leads the Prospect Research and Prospect Management departments and is responsible for overseeing and managing two teams of staff who provide prospect research and prospect management in support of the Office of Philanthropy at the City of Hope.
Through research, identification, tracking, data acquisition and analysis, the Sr. Executive Director of Prospect Research and Management deepens City of Hopeâ€™s institutional knowledge of its prospects by playing a vital role in helping the Office of Philanthropy meet its goals for prospecting, fundraising, engagement, communications, and stewardship. The Senior Director of Prospect Research and Management develops and implements best practices in support of a sophisticated, state-of-the-art prospect research and management shop. The Senior Director ensures that all products are consistently produced, of the highest quality, and meets philanthropy staffâ€™s needs for strategic planning.
- Effectively manage the prospect management team and ensure that each department provides a high level of service to all relevant teams and works collaboratively to meet City of Hope goals.
- In partnership with fundraisers, senior leadership and the prospect management department, develop and implement a data-driven prospect management and tracking program to help guide the identification, assignment, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective donors in an organized and timely way
- Oversee and responsible for the development and management of a prospect assignment process that demonstrates the criteria by which prospects will be assigned (COH rating, giving, patient status, other demographic data)
- Lead Prospect Development/Use data visualization software, develop maps, reports, dashboards, and other tools to provide revealing views of potential prospect tools.
- Responsible for a robust pipeline of prospects across all philanthropy departments in order to meet ambitious fundraising goals; Identify new donors and volunteers through proactive research methods such as data mining and external wealth information resources; ensure we are catching, researching and rating all high level prospects through the grateful patients program, recent donor lists, and executives on the move.
- Respond in a timely manner to all research inquiries which may include financial assets, potential for philanthropic support, business and professional affiliations, areas of interest and other Hospital affiliations
- Collaborate with the AVP and lead the Prospect Development team in the department's efforts to develop innovative and scalable approaches to extracting, analyzing, capturing and managing data
- Implement and recommend office-wide policies and procedures that assist in the efficient management and coordination of all activities related to prospect management.
- Provide supervision for prospect research and prospect management staff. Provide guidance on best practices for staff according to department guidelines and industry standards.
- Prepare current and long-range program plans and operational goals in cooperation with the short- and long-term strategic plan.
- Ensure that prospect research and prospect management products meet the highest standards of analysis and factual accuracy; proof/edit materials produced for distribution while maintaining scrupulous attention to matters of discretion and confidentiality.
Serve as a role model for the Office of Philanthropy. Includes:
- Act as spokesperson for City of Hope activities as requested.
- Participate in search committees, task forces and other special projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to solve problems, overcome hurdles, and navigate sensitive issues with discretion, tact and strong communication skills.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with City of Hope faculty and staff to support fundraising initiatives for COH priorities.
- Possess thorough knowledge of the key fund-raising priorities for COH.
- Bachelorâ€™s Degree, experience may substitute.
- 5+ years of management experience in prospect development.
- Proven management skills and experience in establishing a team- and goal-oriented environment that empowers staff through active communication and delegation.
- Demonstrated experience implementing and managing a prospect management and tracking system.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with development officers on portfolio evaluations.
- Demonstrated experience producing management metrics reports
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and complete projects within specified timeframes
- Must be able to work well under the pressure of deadlines, be able to handle several projects simultaneously, and be able to shift priorities as needed.
- Must have impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to locate and interpret financial and biographical information from a variety of sources
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with tact and sensitivity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for preparation of detailed analytical reports and briefings for use by institution leadership; ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising strategies, techniques, and systems is required.
- Strong self-motivation, initiative in follow up, problem solving skills, and a drive to meet set goals
- Extensive experience analyzing high-volumes of data from varying sources; demonstrated familiarly with industry-standard sources of data (e.g. LexisNexis, WealthEngine, Foundation Center, RelSci, Dataquick, SEC, Hoovers, Boardex, Zillow, wealthscreening data)
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.